Tuesday, 18 Aug 2026 Breaking: "Biggest opponent, obstacle": Iran FM accuses Israel of sabotaging ceasefire deal with US
BREAKING: Apple launches AI platform | Tesla earnings beat estimates | Nvidia stock surges | Bitcoin crosses major resistance
National

Bombay HC stays life sentence, grants bail to Narendra Dhabolkar muder accused Sachin Andhure

Bombay HC stays life sentence, grants bail to Narendra Dhabolkar muder accused Sachin Andhure

Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], August 18 (ANI): The Bombay High Court on Tuesday granted bail to Sachin Andhure, accused in the Narendra Dhabolkar murder case and also put a stay on the 2024 life imprisonment sentence.
Activist and rationalist Narendra Dhabolkar was shot dead in Pune on August 20, 2013, while out for a morning walk. In the case, a Pune sessions court in 2024 had sentenced two people while acquitting three others.
Sharad Kalaskar and Sachin Andhure were given life imprisonment for the murder.
Padma Shri awardee Narendra Dhabolkar was a social worker working to eradicate superstition. He founded the Maharashtra Andhrashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti (MANS), also called the Committee for Eradication of Superstition in Maharashtra.
He regularly questioned people who claimed to perform miracles with a large following. MANS, under his leadership, drafted the 'Anti-Jaadu Tona Bill' (Anti-Superstition and Black Magic Ordinance), which was enacted in 2013.
In 2024, A Special Court in Pune sentenced two men to life imprisonment and acquitted three, including key accused Virendrasinh Tawde. Apart from life imprisonment for Andhure and Kalaskar, the court also imposed a fine of Rs 5 lakh, while ENT surgeon Virendrasinh Tawde, Sanjeev Punalekar and Vikram Bhave were acquitted due to lack of evidence.
Reading out the order in a courtroom, Additional Sessions Judge (Special Court) PP Jadhav said that the prosecution had proved the charges of murder and conspiracy against Sachin Andure and Sharad Kalaskar, and they have been awarded life imprisonment and a fine of Rs 5 lakh.
Pune police had initially probed the case. The CBI took over the probe in 2014 following a Bombay High Court order and arrested Tawde, linked to the Sanatan Sanstha, in June 2016.
According to the prosecution, Tawde was allegedly one of the masterminds of the murder, a charge they were unable to prove in court. The prosecution at the time had claimed Sanatan Sanstha, to which Tawde and some of the other accused were linked, was opposed to the work carried out by Dabholkar's organisation. (ANI)

Tags

Related News

Future party workers: Nitin Nabin calls for stronger BJP organisation, holds meeting in Visakhapatnam
National
Future party workers: Nitin Nabin calls for stronger BJP organisation, holds meeting in Visakhapatnam

<p>Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) [India], August 18 (ANI): BJP National President Nitin Nabin held a meeting with the p...

Assam flood toll rises to 105; nearly 32,000 people still affected
National
Assam flood toll rises to 105; nearly 32,000 people still affected

<p>Guwahati (Assam) [India], August 18 (ANI): Floods have claimed 105 lives in Assam so far this year, with nearly 32,00...

"14 exams cancelled, historic win": Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto demands leak-proof exam system
National
"14 exams cancelled, historic win": Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto demands leak-proof exam system

<p>Ranchi (Jharkhand) [India], August 18 (ANI): Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto on Tuesday welcomed the Jharkhand gov...

SC to set up high-powered panel headed by ex-judge to examine police action against student protesters
National
SC to set up high-powered panel headed by ex-judge to examine police action against student protesters

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Tuesday said it will constitute a high-powered committee hea...

Delhi Court grants 4-week interim bail to Ex-DGHS Vatsala Aggarwal in Rs 700 cr medical scam
National
Delhi Court grants 4-week interim bail to Ex-DGHS Vatsala Aggarwal in Rs 700 cr medical scam

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): The Rouse Avenue court on Tuesday granted 4 weeks' interim bail to Vatsala Aggarw...

"Let them come forward": Congress leader Pawan Khera defends Goa event Vande Mataram rendition, challenges critics to debate
National
"Let them come forward": Congress leader Pawan Khera defends Goa event Vande Mataram rendition, challenges critics to debate

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): Congress leader Pawan Khera on Tuesday defended his party's decision to sing only...