Tuesday, 18 Aug 2026 Breaking: Trump invokes Indian electoral system in bid to pass SAVE America Act
BREAKING: Apple launches AI platform | Tesla earnings beat estimates | Nvidia stock surges | Bitcoin crosses major resistance
World

Iraq: Kurdistan govt accuses Iran of drone strikes on PM's office, Parastin chief's residence; Tehran refutes

Iraq: Kurdistan govt accuses Iran of drone strikes on PM's office, Parastin chief's residence; Tehran refutes

Erbil [Iraq], August 18 (ANI): Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) on Monday (local time) accused Iran of carrying out drone strikes targeting the office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the head of the Kurdish intelligence agency Parastin.
No casualties were reported in the incident, while there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, CNN reported.
Barzani condemned what he described as "reckless and unacceptable attacks", saying they represented "a serious escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region."
"Based on information and investigations conducted by the Counter-Terrorism Directorate in the Kurdistan Region, it has been confirmed that my personal office and the residence of the President of the Parastin Agency were subjected today to Iranian attacks using drones," Barzani said in a post on X.
"I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable aggressions in the strongest terms. I affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region, and such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protecting our citizens," he added.
Meanwhile, Iran rejected the accusation, with Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei describing the reported drone attack on Barzani's office in Erbil as a "highly suspicious development" amid the ongoing regional confrontation between Tehran and Washington DC, Press TV reported.
Baghaei said Iran condemned the attack and suggested that it could be a "false flag" operation aimed at implicating Tehran.
He said Iraqi officials had previously announced the discovery of terrorist cells affiliated with certain foreign powers that were allegedly involved in planning and carrying out such false flag operations.
The Iranian spokesperson called for "careful and vigilant attention" to the incident and warned against what he described as attempts by Iran and Iraq's enemies to undermine relations between the two countries.
Baghaei also said that Iran remained committed to maintaining and strengthening its friendly relations with the Kurdistan Region in areas of mutual interest. (ANI)

Tags

Related News

Trump invokes Indian electoral system in bid to pass SAVE America Act
World
Trump invokes Indian electoral system in bid to pass SAVE America Act

<p>Washington, DC [US], August 18 (ANI): US President Donald Trump on Monday (local time) renewed his call for the passa...

"Will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt until demilitarisation occurs": US Special Envoy Kushner after meeting Netanyahu
World
"Will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt until demilitarisation occurs": US Special Envoy Kushner after meeting Netanyahu

<p>Washington DC [US], August 18 (ANI): US Special Envoy Jared Kushner said Washington made significant progress during...

Heavy rains lash Rawalpindi, Islamabad; low-lying areas inundated amid urban flooding risk
World
Heavy rains lash Rawalpindi, Islamabad; low-lying areas inundated amid urban flooding risk

<p>Islamabad [Pakistan], August 18 (ANI): Heavy rains continued to lash Rawalpindi, Islamabad and adjoining areas, inund...

US' Department of War orders 30 universities to review foreign academic, financial ties
World
US' Department of War orders 30 universities to review foreign academic, financial ties

<p>Washington DC [US], August 18 (ANI): The US Department of War has issued formal notifications to 30 domestic academic...

Trump criticises South Korea, says 'declined request to help US in Iran conflict'
World
Trump criticises South Korea, says 'declined request to help US in Iran conflict'

<p>Washington DC [US], August 18 (ANI): US President Donald Trump said South Korean President Lee Jae Myung declined his...

"Like the idea of declaring Strait of Hormuz US territory": Trump says Washington has "total control" with naval blockade
World
"Like the idea of declaring Strait of Hormuz US territory": Trump says Washington has "total control" with naval blockade

<p>Washington DC [US], August 18 (ANI): United States President Donald Trump on Monday (local time) reiterated his remar...