Tuesday, 18 Aug 2026 Breaking: COAS General Seth meets Nepal PM Balendra Shah as part of four-day visit to the Himalayan Nation
BREAKING: Apple launches AI platform | Tesla earnings beat estimates | Nvidia stock surges | Bitcoin crosses major resistance
National

Odisha floods: 6 districts affected, over 200,000 evacuated, says CM Mohan Charan Majhi

Odisha floods: 6 districts affected, over 200,000 evacuated, says CM Mohan Charan Majhi

Bhubaneswar (Odisha) [India], August 18 (ANI): Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi on Tuesday said six districts of the state have been affected by floods, with authorities intensifying evacuation, rescue and relief operations amid continuing rainfall and rising river levels.
Majhi said he travelled by road to Jajpur and Bhadrak districts to assess the flood situation on the ground and review relief measures on Monday.
"Yesterday, I travelled by road to assess the flood situation in Jajpur and Bhadrak districts," Majhi told the media.
He said 10 blocks, 270 villages and one urban area in Jajpur have been affected. The administration evacuated more than 200,000 people, with 77,680 people moved to safer locations and 291 relief camps established.
"In Bhadrak district, four blocks comprising 134 villages and one urban area have been affected, with 196,240 people facing either total or partial impact from the floods," the Chief Minister said.
Majhi said Balasore, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar and Kendrapara have also reported flood impacts, taking the number of affected districts to six.
"Baleswar and Bhadrak have faced the impact multiple times," he said, adding that 39 NDRF teams and 51 Fire Service units have been fully deployed for rescue operations.
The Chief Minister said the government has provided financial assistance of Rs 136 crore in two to three instalments and indicated that some restrictions could be relaxed after assessing the situation.
Meanwhile, more than 300 students were affected after floodwaters entered Pattamundai Kulsahi Ashram School in Kendrapara district.
Higher Education Minister Suryabanshi Suraj said authorities were following the same Standard Operating Procedures adopted during previous floods, including the distribution of dry rations and free community kitchen facilities.
Dhamnagar, Bhandaripokhari, Chandbali and Tihidi blocks are currently affected, with 20-22 panchayats inundated in Dhamnagar alone.
According to IMD reports on August 15, 429 villages across 52 blocks had been affected by floodwater, while 79 rescue teams were deployed.
The Central Water Commission has warned of flash-flood risks in parts of Odisha, while the IMD has forecast further heavy rainfall and issued an alert for 11 districts.
Authorities continue to monitor vulnerable areas and coordinate evacuation, relief distribution and medical preparedness. (ANI)

Tags

Related News

Maharashtra Freedom of Religion Act to be implemented from Aug 28, gazette issued
National
Maharashtra Freedom of Religion Act to be implemented from Aug 28, gazette issued

<p>Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], August 18 (ANI): The Maharashtra government has officially announced the implementation...

Delhi High Court division bench allows JNU admissions with deprivation points
National
Delhi High Court division bench allows JNU admissions with deprivation points

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): The Delhi High Court's Division Bench on Tuesday modified an interim order that h...

Delhi LG approves restructuring of Apex, District Development Committees across national capital
National
Delhi LG approves restructuring of Apex, District Development Committees across national capital

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): Delhi Lieutenant Governor, Taranjit Singh Sandhu, has approved the proposal for t...

Chamoli tunnel accident: Rescue operation concludes after recovery of bodies of 2 missing workers; death toll rises to 10
National
Chamoli tunnel accident: Rescue operation concludes after recovery of bodies of 2 missing workers; death toll rises to 10

<p>Chamoli (Uttarakhand) [India], August 18 (ANI): The rescue and search operation at the under-construction THDC tunnel...

"Such statements hurt a lot": Naxal victim's kin oppose Chidambaram's 'proud to be dimagi Naxal' remark
National
"Such statements hurt a lot": Naxal victim's kin oppose Chidambaram's 'proud to be dimagi Naxal' remark

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): Families of victims of Naxal violence from Chhattisgarh's Bastar region reached t...

BSF focuses on enhancing drone skills of troops deployed on borders
National
BSF focuses on enhancing drone skills of troops deployed on borders

<p>By Rajnish Singh <br />New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): In an attempt to deal with any untoward incident, the Bord...