Tuesday, 18 Aug 2026 Breaking: UAE claims air defence systems detected two missiles launched from Iran; both fell into sea
BREAKING: Apple launches AI platform | Tesla earnings beat estimates | Nvidia stock surges | Bitcoin crosses major resistance
World

Trump holds off Iran talks until Tehran is "ready to make a deal": Reports

Trump holds off Iran talks until Tehran is "ready to make a deal": Reports

Washington [US], August 19 (ANI): US President Donald Trump has asked his negotiating team to hold off talks with Iran until Tehran is "ready to make a deal", Al Jazeera reported, adding that there was no conflict within the administration's position on diplomatic engagement with Tehran.
The official told Al Jazeera that the US had been engaged in "positive talks" with Iran, but Trump had "decided to wait" before proceeding further.
"There is no conflict" in the US administration's approach towards talks with Iran, the official added.
The development comes amid conflicting statements from Washington and Tehran over the status of the Strait of Hormuz and ongoing tensions between the two countries.
Earlier on Tuesday (local time), Trump had contradicted Iran's position on the strategic waterway, stating that the naval blockade remained "in full force and effect" while the Strait of Hormuz was "open and operating".
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said there were no talks or discussions currently taking place with Tehran, adding that the Strait of Hormuz was operational and that naval mines had been removed or detonated.
"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating," Trump said.
Meanwhile, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf had said Tehran would not reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the United States fulfils commitments under a 14-point Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets and easing oil sanctions.
Ghalibaf said Iran's military and diplomatic tracks would work together in response to what he described as US violations of commitments, warning of a stronger response if tensions escalated.
The Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy transit route, has remained at the centre of rising tensions between Washington and Tehran, with both sides issuing conflicting statements over its current status. (ANI)

Tags

Related News

UAE claims air defence systems detected two missiles launched from Iran; both fell into sea
World
UAE claims air defence systems detected two missiles launched from Iran; both fell into sea

<p>Abu Dhabi [UAE], August 19 (ANI): The United Arab Emirates Ministry of Defence on Tuesday said its air defence system...

"Unnecessary escalation": US envoy Tom Barrack condemns "confirmed Israeli airstrikes" on Syria's Abu al-Duhur Airbase
World
"Unnecessary escalation": US envoy Tom Barrack condemns "confirmed Israeli airstrikes" on Syria's Abu al-Duhur Airbase

<p>Washington, DC [US], August 19 (ANI): US Special Presidential Envoy for Syria and Iraq Tom Barrack on Tuesday condemn...

COAS Nepal visit reflects strong defence ties, unique military tradition between India, Nepal: MEA
World
COAS Nepal visit reflects strong defence ties, unique military tradition between India, Nepal: MEA

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): The ongoing visit of Chief of Army Staff General Dhiraj Seth to Nepal reflects th...

In touch with UK High Commission, Foreign Office to ensure his well-being: MEA on Captain Ajay Pant in custody in London
World
In touch with UK High Commission, Foreign Office to ensure his well-being: MEA on Captain Ajay Pant in custody in London

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday said it is closely monitoring the cas...

Rajasthan allots homes to 473 nomadic families; diaspora-backed welfare efforts gain momentum
World
Rajasthan allots homes to 473 nomadic families; diaspora-backed welfare efforts gain momentum

<p>New York [US], August 18 (ANI): The Rajasthan government has allotted flats to 473 families from nomadic, semi-nomadi...

"Many lives lost, severe restrictions...local population deserves sympathy from international community":  MEA on PoJK protests
World
"Many lives lost, severe restrictions...local population deserves sympathy from international community": MEA on PoJK protests

<p>New Delhi [India], August 18 (ANI): Amid reports of shortages of essential commodities and continued restrictions by...